Wednesday, September 24, 2008

You were expecting "Wheels on the Bus," perhaps?

Here's what happened. A very kind woman from the public school system came for a home-visit the other day. It's this cool thing the school district does. Yea! She's come a couple of times now, and she's very nice, and gives me interesting tips about the kiddos' development. Great!

So she innocently (naively?) asked Evan if he likes to sing. He nodded and promptly broke into his totally-jammin'-best-rock-star version of "867-5309." If you grew up in the 80's, you know this song. The one about Jenny. If you did not grow up in the 80's, allow me to explain: the guy sings this passionate love song to a woman whose phone number he found on a bathroom wall.

Very Kind Woman looked at me quizzically. I didn't really know what to say.

"Well, that song was popular when I was in junior high..." I stammered. "I think he likes the numbers." At which point Evan very helpfully belted out the line, "For a good time... for a good time caaalllll...." (Here's where I started to feel that coveted Mother of the Year award slip from my grasp.)

Meekly, and rather ineffectively, I added, "He learned it from his big brother."

Which is true. Jensen really loves that song. He loves most songs, actually. Even if the lyrics are enough to set his grandmothers' eardrums on fire. (And then he teaches them to his little brother.) On a whim that night, I asked him his favorite songs. Here's the short list:


  • Mama Mia by ABBA (he's loved it since he was maybe three)

  • Lights by Journey (Ridiculously funny video. It's on youtube. We watch it a lot.)

  • Any number of college fight songs (including the Universities of Michigan, Missouri, and Connecticut)

  • Metallica (Nothing specific here. Just Metallica.)

  • Beat It and Thriller by Michael Jackson

  • I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett (and the Blackhearts!)

Two thoughts: 1) This is a pretty tame list. And 2) What have I done to my child?! And this is indeed all my influence. If Jeff had his way, the list would be largely Primus and Rush. (Less tame.) Although I was relieved he didn't include any Neil Diamond (too mortifying). And a little disappointed there isn't any Johnny Cash in there.

I'm guessing the Primus and Rush come later. I should probably warn his grandmas that they should protect their ears. I can't wait to hear what Caleb sings when he's four.

1 comment:

  1. That's just too cool. Mateo has his kiddie favorites, but has been listening to my music since day one. Who knows what he'll get hooked on.

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!