Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Six unspectacular things, plus some bonus uninspired facts

Good morning. I'd like to extend a tepid welcome to my little corner of mediocrity.

I recently got tagged for this meme by Nut Nut over at Nutty Tales (among others). I was initially a bit nervous, this being my first time with this kind of fun.... But after a moment's thought (and after I figured out what the hell a meme is) I realized it was probably created with me in mind. Seriously. I should have a flashing neon sign above my head that says, "Unspectactacular." Except flashing neon is kind of, well... spectacular. Anyway, just read. And prepare to be underwhelmed.

  1. I drive a minivan. Three kids = lots of carseats (since they need to use booster seats now until they're approximately 15 years old). That's a lot of room; too much room for most cars. And I'm definitely not an SUV-type. So that leaves... a minivan. It's okay. (For a while it had a big dent in the side, which was embarrassing, but it did distinguish my silver minivan from all the other silver minivans in the school parking lot. Did that make it more or less spectacular?)

  2. I collect bachelor's degrees. Most people, when choosing to go into debt and continue their educations ad infinitum, would maybe choose to get a master's degree, or perhaps even a PhD. Not this girl. Nope. Two bachelor's degrees here. (Even better: they are in English and nursing. Yawn.)

  3. I love Sports Illustrated. My husband puts me to shame by reading The Economist from cover-to-cover each week. He can discuss in-depth the potential implications of Lehman Brothers filing for Chapter 11.... But I have a very firm grasp on the subtleties of Brett Favre's move to the Jets. So there.

  4. My hair is chin-length. Not long and glamorous. Not short and edgy. Certainly nothing sexy. (Banish. the. thought.) It goes well with my not-a-bit-of-makeup-has-touched-my-face-in-at-least-two-weeks look.

  5. My favorite activity is sleeping. And my preferred bedtime is 9pm. I rarely make that, because I'm too busy doing unspectacular things like emptying the dishwasher or sweeping. Or sitting on the sofa staring at the wall (yes, I do that). So let's say 9:30.

  6. I can't function unless all the beds are made. I guess this is an indicator of how small my world has become? Or maybe of how dependent my self-esteem is on menial tasks? I'll ask my therapist (when I get one).

But wait! I can't be done already!!! What about the fact that I love Will Farrell movies? Or that chicken pot pie warrants a blog post in my world? Or that I love cleaning my kids' ears? What about...?

{sigh}

I laugh at this post. Because it's a pretty good description of my life.... I used to dream of spectacular and glamorous things. I used to look down my nose at living in suburbia and being a football mom. I had big plans.

But I'll be honest. I like this better. Okay, now I have to figure out who to pass this along to....

2 comments:

  1. You stare at the wall too????

    LOL! I don't know how many times I look like I'm looking at the TV, and my husband will comment on what's on, and I'm really just staring at the wall (and thinking). That's our big joke - he says I'm like the Peter Billingsly character in A Christmas Story: "Don't bother me, I'm thinking."

    I also love the early bedtime, however, at that hour I leave the sweeping and emptying of dishwasher to my husband because I don't like do anything at that hour except being a vegetable.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know I don't need to tell you not to knock sitting on the couch staring at the wall. It can be second-best to sleeping in this world. 'Cause at least you can get credit for "watching the kids" then, am I right?

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!