Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gross motor skills, or, Look at me!

He walks! He talks!...

Okay, not quite, but Caleb does sit. Like a champ!!!

He's seven months and two days old today. A month ago he was just starting to sit in the "tripod" position (with his hands on the floor between his legs for stability), but very unreliably and only for a few seconds at a time. One week ago he was sitting unsupported for several seconds at a time, arms flapping wildly for balance. Then he'd fold in half forward (that made him mad!) or topple over to the side. And now he's wayyyy cool... I can just plop him down and he'll sit for a long, long time. He can even reach over and grab toys and... yes, sit back up.

And a few days ago he became kind of mobile. I don't understand the mechanics of it, but he was scooty-scooting a little bit. Two days ago he started launching himself backwards a few inches (also made him a bit angry, since he seemed to want to go forward). And yesterday he was up on hands and knees just a bit and hiking forward, just a little. Hello, crawling? Not too far away, I fear. I'm not a fan of the crawling stage, as mobile babies have all the common sense of a fly. But I can't stop progress, I guess.

With the older two, I loved that stage where you could sit them on the floor and they'd stay put. It meant I could maybe get a couple of things accomplished.... Caleb seems to have skipped that stage entirely. Sitting and mobility have been kind of simultaneous. Great. So it's time to finish the baby-proofing, huh?

Oh, and for his next trick... we're hoping the little peanut learns to sleep all night long.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teresa,
    I'm trying to respond to your blog and think I just signed up for my own blog...??? Oh, well, hopefully it works. I think this a great way for us to keep up with what's happening with you and the boys. That Caleb is sure a cutie...sounds like you'll be chasing three of them pretty soon! It's always fun to read what you write...must be the sense of humor...hmmmm
    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!