Friday, August 1, 2008

House Rules

Betcha this didn't happen to you yesterday.

Since Caleb is on the prowl now, I'm kind of always scanning the floor for potential choking hazards. Yesterday morning, as I rushed through my bedroom, I happened to see a small piece of what looked like hard brown plastic, about three-quarters of an inch long. I was in a hurry, and just put it on my bedside table to pitch later.

Later in the afternoon I remembered to throw it away. I picked it up and looked at it, and recognized it as a big bug carcass. Ugh-- I instinctively threw it on the ground. Jeff laughed at me and picked it up. And chuckled in a rather sinister manner.

"This isn't a bug," said he. It was a flippin' FROG.
{shiver}

I made a bee-line for the big boys. In my sternest, most disgusted, trying-not-to-laugh voice I yelled, "Who the hell put a DEAD FROG in my bedroom?!?!?!"

Jensen's head immediately snapped up, eyes like saucers. "I don't know anything about that," he said. I could tell he was intrigued, and could also tell he was probably telling the truth. He figured he'd better placate me in a hurry. "Honest, Mom, I didn't do it."

Evan was sitting next to him. He looked up, calmly and perhaps a bit put out with all the drama, and said, "Well I did." Then continued with his reading.

Of course you did, Evan.

Jensen was hugely impressed. He wishes he could come up with these kinds of things. Evan doesn't even have to try.

We have a new rule now: No dead animals in my bedroom.
Reasonable enough, everyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!