Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day

How do I begin this without sounding like a cliche?

I'll just jump in: Evan is at preschool.

For the very first time. I'm just trying to process that right now.

When I took him, I asked him if he wanted me to stay for a few minutes or if he was ready for me to leave. He pulled me close and whispered in my ear, "I'm ready for you to leave now."

My heart swelled into my throat. It's still there.

I don't know what it is that I'm feeling right now. Pride. Love. And some sadness. My eyes sting a little.

The house sure is quiet right now.

I love you, little Evan.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have kids, but this choked me up a little bit. I have worked in before and afterschool care and it is sometimesreally hard on parents. It gets easier??

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!