Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Political advertising dollars well-spent

Bear with me; or, more precisely, bear with Evan. I'm sure you're sick to death of politics and politicians. But Evan is only four, and is not known for adjusting to change well. The abrupt end to the feeding frenzy has left him feeling a bit lost.

You probably all know my political leanings. Evan, on the other hand, simply adores John McCain. Perhaps it's his grandfatherly appearance. Perhaps it's that he referred to everyone as his "friend." Perhaps it's the military connection; as a boy's boy, Evan has a developmentally-appropriate interest in all things explosive. I don't know, but Evan talks about him fondly. Every time he wears self-proclaimed "fancy clothes" (ie, shirts with buttons and without stains or tears), he struts around proudly and says, "I look like John McCain!"


Yesterday he drew this picture:


Evan: "Mommy, this one is John McCain and this one is George Bush. [thoughtful pause] Are John McCain and George Bush brothers?"

Me: "No, they aren't."

Evan: "But look at this picture. Don't you think they look a lot alike?"


Who can argue with such logic?

Anyway. I don't know whether the Obama campaign should be ashamed that a four-year-old took their advertisements so literally, or embarrassed that they didn't come up with this idea....

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! All the red states are probably sad with your son regarding McCain's loss. The rest of us are happy with Obama's win!

    Thanks for finding my blog from your sister's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it, they do look a lot alike. I never noticed the resemblance before. :)

    Now that's just hilarious because my daughter is obsessed with Barack Obama and Sarah Palin.

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Hate it? Any other reaction? Leave me a comment!